The flavoursome bananas from Kerala, locally called as Nendram pazham are so versatile, that they taste yum just as is and also can be transformed into several scrumptious desserts. The Kerala Banana Fry Halwa is my favourite variation while this simple to put together pan fried or caramelised version comes a very close second.
Well, there is not much of a recipe here really, but I realised this is a simple dessert that we Konkanis prepare and I felt it is simply too good and so easy that it has to be shared to others as well.
This calls for the banana to be pan-fried and uses very little ghee.. thus making it a healthy dessert option. And if like, you can even cut out the sugar from it, but hey.. what is a dessert with no sugar eh?! So that much indulgence is allowed :) Tastes best right off the stove while the banana is still warm and soft while the sugar is crunchy. As it cools the sugar may get syrupy, which I personally do not prefer. But again its up to individual preferences. So, here is how you can make yourself some Caramelises Kerala Banana :)
Makes: 12 pieces
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Kerala Banana - 1, ripe
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Sugar - 2-3 tsp
- Peel the banana and cut into 3 equal parts.
- Now, slice each part into 4 thin vertical slices.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add the slices. Allow them to roast for about 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Turn over and allow the other side to roast as well.
- Once both sides have roasted evenly and are light brownish in colour, transfer onto a plate.
- Toss some sugar over it and yum it up while still warm! :)