Sunday, June 10, 2012

Palak Alu Fry



Palak is an easy vegetable to cook with. However, I havnt been too experimental with it till now. My most common dish with palak has been Dal Palak (will share recipe soon), which is a very quick, healthy and easy dish to prepare. However, this time I wanted to try out something new with Palak. This afternoon, I had some guests over for lunch, and decided I would make a brand new dish out of Palak for them. 
When there is a new dish on my mind, I usually picturise the final product and then work around the ingredients I would like to use and finally go about preparing it. 

Keeping my fingers crossed, I ventured onto this dish and to my delight, it came out exactly how I had picturised it and to add on to my delight..... they loved it! :)








Ingredients

Palak (Spinach) - 2 bunches
Onion - 1 medium
Tomato - 1 medium
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Potato - 4-5 medium (boiled)
Dried Red Chillis - 2
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - for frying
Salt - to taste










Method
  • Roughly chop the palak leaves. In a microwave-safe bowl, toss in the chopped spinach and then set the timer to 2 minutes.
  • Roughly chop the onion and tomato into cubes.
  • In a frying pan, heat oil add in the cut onion keeping the flame on medium. Fry for a minute and then add in the tomatoes and fry for another minute. 
  • Remove from flame and keep side.
  • Put the fried onion-tomato mixture and palak into a mixer. Add ginger-garlic paste and a pinch of salt and  grind to a smooth paste.
  • Heat oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds.
  • Add the paste that has just been prepared and stir well.
  • Add red chilli powder, cumin powder and a pinch more salt and let it cook on low flame for a while.
  • Along side, dice boiled potatoes and deep fry till golden brown.
  • Transfer into a bowl lined with tissue paper to drain out excess oil.
  • Remove the palak gravy off the flame, add in 3 quarter portion of the fried potatoes into the gravy and mix well. 
  • Add in the remaining fried potatoes over the gravy (you can add this just before serving to retain the crispiness of the potatoes).
  • Heat oil in a pan, add the dried red chillies, roast for about 10 seconds and remove off the flame. Spread it over the Palak Alu Fry and serve hot with rice or roties.

No comments:

Post a Comment