Sunday, August 12, 2012

Hariyali Pulav | Green Pulav




Being an enthusiastic foodie blogger these day, you would find me eagerly collecting interesting recipes from friends and family and trying my hands at them with some personal touches here and there. 

Once, way before I started my foodie blog, I had once visited my cousin Seema, for lunch. She is  known to be an amazing cook with her own cookery blog, which you can find here. So of course..., we were looking forward to the scrumptious meal that awaited us! As expected, the food was out of the world! One particular dish caught my attention the most. So flavorful, aromatic and with an appetizing appeal to it... there was this Green Pulav she had made.


I had then and there asked her for the recipe and mentally made a note of it and went home and conveniently forgot it :( 

Just a few days back, I wrote to her yet again asking her for the recipe, thanks to my blog I did not put it away this time! With minor tweaks here and there, I had my version of the yummilicious Green Pulav! :) Next time around, I am going to make her version, by following it to the T. For now, here it is...





Ingredients

Rice - 1 1/2 cups
 Veggies - 1 cup
I used all green veggies - green peas, beans, capsicum and cauliflower)
Onion - 1 1/2 medium, finley sliced
Tomato - 1 medium, finely chopped
Curd - 1 tbsp
Cinnamon Stick - 2
Cloves - 4
Bay Leaf - 1
 Oil - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
 Salt - to taste
Water - 1 3/4 cup


 To be ground:



 Coriander leaves - a big bunch
Green chillies - 3
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
 Onion - 1/2 
Poppy Seeds - 1 tsp
Cashew nuts - 5 


For Garnish:

Onions - 1/4, very finely sliced
Cashew nuts - 5-6

  


 Method:
  • Grind together the ingredients mentioned under 'to be ground' with a little bit of water and keep aside.
  • Heat oil and ghee in a cooker.
  • Add in the full spices (Cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves).
  • Add the sliced onion and saute till slightly brown.
  • Add in the chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.


(Unfortunately, my camera acted weird and I lost the next few pics illustrating the preparations, during transfer... :(...! )

  • Pour in the ground masala and cook for a few minutes to allow its flavours to blend.
  • Mix in the chopped veggies and cook for another few minutes.
  • Now add in the washed rice and curd and mix everything well, keeping sauteing for a couple of minutes.
  • Now add in water, (add 1:1 1/2 for basmati rice).
  • Let it steam cook for about ten minutes on medium flame or until one whistle.




For garnishing:

  • Heat oil in a pan and add in the very finely sliced onions and allow it to turn into golden brown strands.
  • Remove from fire and keep aside.
  • In the same pan, add cashew nuts and roast till lightly brown.
  • Garnish these on top of the green pulav.



  • Serve hot with cucumber raita, spiced yogurt or just plain curd.


3 comments:

  1. Superb, mouthwatering comfort food

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the name of you blog :) And the pulao looks super dee duper :)

    ReplyDelete