Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pumpkin & Corn Tawa Pulav with Coconut Milk



Of late I have developed a liking for the FoodFood channel. Some of the shows aired on it are pretty interesting that showcases just my kind of recipes! By my kind of recipes I mean unique combos, simple to make recipes with easily available ingredients. So here is a beautiful recipe I saw yesterday. It is a Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe and the gradients of yellow in it caught my attention immediately. I just had to try it in my kitchen at the earliest. Voila, here I am with my version of it :)




As always, I cannot stick to a recipe without making a few personal twists :P So to this delicious pulav, I added a measure of coconut milk and the outcome was truly delightful. The sweetness of coconut milk gave the pulav an awesome aroma and taste.

I usually cook pulav in a pressure cooker. Cooking in a tawa gives you complete control of how much you want the rice to cook. I am starting to love this method of making pulav :) Try it, you would agree!




Makes - 1 big bowl
Serves - 2
Preparation time - 10 mins
Cooking time - 30 mins

Ingredients
Rice - 1 cup
Pumpkin - 1 cup, diced
Sweet Corn kernels - 1/2 cup
Onions - 1 medium, finely sliced
Bay Leaf - 1
Cloves - 3-4
Dry Red chillies - 3
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - as needed


Method
  • Soak rice in 1 cup of water and set aside until the rest of the preparations are done.
  • Slice one onions into thin slices.
  • Heat oil in a pan and toss in the cloves, bay leaf and cumin seeds.
  • Once they splatter, add in the onions and allow it to caramelise.
  • Now, add in the diced pumpkin and salt. Mix well.
  • Drain out the water from the soaked rice and add the drained rice into the pan along with corn kernels. Mix well.
  • Add coconut milk and water and stir well. Keep the pan covered and allow it to cook on medium flame until rice is cooked. This should take about 20 minutes.


  • You can check on it at intervals and switch off the stove when the rice seemed to have cooked and the water has been absorbed. If all the water has been absorbed, yet the rice needs more cooking, add in a little bit more water, about 1/4 cup and mix well. Allow the pulav to cook for another few minutes.
  • After switching off the stove, stir once gently and keep the pan covered until serving time. As the heat retained inside cooks the rice a little more and retains the aroma within.
  • Serve hot with a side of your choice.




8 comments: