Saturday, March 9, 2013

Kerala Banana Fry Halwa | Nandarbale Kela Thalolo Halwo | Konkani Dessert



This Banana Halwa is a popular Konkani dessert made out of a special variety of banana which is grown in Kerala. This variety is also available in other states and is popularly called Kerala Banana or Nendrampazham (Malayalam/Tamil)  / Nandarbale Kele (Konkani). It is longer and slightly thicker than the regular banana. The peel is a deep yellow colour while the fruit itself is also a creamy yellow colour as compared to the creamy white colour of the regular banana. With a unique flavour of its own, this Kerala Banana is used to make several sweet dishes one of which is the dish we are talking about today. 





This is my favourite preparation of the fruit. It is simple and easy to make and the taste... oh yum, deliciously flavourful. The best suited banana for this sweet dish are the perfectly ripe ones... not raw, not too ripe. My mum is visiting me and this is her preparation that I am sharing today.


Makes: 1 big bowl
Serve: 4
Preperation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients
Ripe Kerala Banana (nendrampazham) - 4
Sugar - 6-8 tbsp
Cardamom powder - 2-3 tsp
Ghee - 2-3 tsp
Oil - for deep frying

Method


  • Peel the bananas and chop them into quarters.
  • Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. 
  • When the oil is hot enough for deep frying, add in the banana pieces and fry till golden brown.
  • Remove from oil, drain and place them in a vessel. 
  • Once all the banana pieces are fried, add the sugar and cardamom powder and mix well. 
  • Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle some ghee on top.
  • Serve hot :)

Note: This halwa is best eaten when hot, as it cools down, the sugar syrup oozes out of the halwa and the banana pieces becomes a little hard.

8 comments:

  1. its new to me.. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey never tried this, like the look of those caramalised bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can have this as a meal by itself,though it is not a very good proposition for my waistline:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had loads of Kerala banana but never tried this... I'm sure it tastes awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. New recipe to me dear...i too have loads of banana am sure i ll try this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a completely new recipe and looks super simple and super yummy. I am sure your mother will love it to bits!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my this looks too tempting! Never heard of banana fried halwa. I make Banana Halwa but this is totally new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm...yummo...I think this is the one I've eaten before...ok, I'm all confused now..but looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete