You know that feeling, when you crave for something that you have only envisioned in your head and have not really eaten or even seen before? Oh, I get that feeling often... so often!
I bring myself to such a state that I have to stop whatever I am doing and head right into the kitchen and literally listen to my craving and create a dish to satisfy your highness's taste-buds! Thankfully, my cravings are mostly simple and have healthy character to it. Okay fine... at times I have craved for deep-fried goodies, but only at times.
And I also figured that I sort of like challenging myself to be quick at whatever I am cooking. As you see cravings are not going to wait for too long! I have gotta be quick!
So, it was just another day, and I was busy with something, and suddenly with no warning I wanted a Spinach and Mushroom Pasta! That was it. I just get the mental order and I have to go cook it right up!
And I as said, these cravings are pretty impatient. "Can I just finish my work and then get to making it?" I ask... "Hell no... I want it like right now!" comes the answer. Yes, that is the scene. Its like being the guest at a restaurant as well as the chef to please the guest, all at the same time! :D
And so I obeyed. I just headed to the kitchen and pulled out all the ingredients I had in mind and began cooking.
Oh, and another thing with this craving frenzy is, I have this habit of reminding myself of what all I got in my fridge that need to be consumed soon (chopped veggies, purees, etc). And that day, I had spinach puree and some mushrooms which I had already sliced and stored away the previous day. So now you know where the craving for Spinach Mushroom Pasta came from?! :D
Such simple preparations at times when you do have some extra time, come handy when you need to make a quick meal for yourself. So, it took me just 20 minutes to simply put these pre-prepped ingredients together to make this wholesome yummilicious pasta.
The cheese in this was just an afterthought, else I was going to completely skip it. In fact, I am sure it would taste just fine even without it... but then what is pasta without a little cheese right? :)
Makes: 2 bowls
Pasta - 2 cups (You can use any kind of Pasta. I used Penne)
Spinach Puree - 2 cups (I blanched two bunches of spinach and blended it with little water to get a puree of thick consistency)
Button Mushrooms - 1 cup, sliced into 'T' shape.
Onion - 1 medium
Garlic - 5-6 pods
Butter - 2-3 1-inch sized cubes
Italian Seasoning - 2-3 tsp
Red Chilli Flakes - 2 tsp
Olive Oil - 1/2 tbsp
Cheese - 1 cube
- Cook the pasta as per instructions in the packet. Strain and keep aside.
- Heat two cubes of butter in a pan and saute the sliced mushroom in it till they turn light brown. Keep aside.
- Slice the onions and crush the garlic pods. If you have a garlic crusher, use that, else just finely mince it using the knife.
- In the same pan, heat olive oil and toss in the garlic and onions. Saute till they turn light brown.
- Pour in the spinach puree and mix well.
- Add salt, Italian seasoning and red chilli flakes. Keep the pan covered and allow the mixture to cook for about 1 minute.
- Now, add in a half the mushrooms into the puree and also the cooked pasta. Gently combine all the ingredients and allow to cook for a minute or two more on low flame.
Oh, I have already told you how yummy butter mushrooms taste. So, dont forget to keep some mushrooms aside to place over the pasta for that YUM flavor!
- Take off the stove, sprinkle grated cheese over and the remaining butter sauteed mushrooms on top and serve!
Your own plateful of guilt-free YUMMINESS is ready!!! :) Enjoy!