Finally. Oh, finally I got around to make Garlic bread, with my own homemade bread! Oh, you have no idea how relieved I am feeling right now!
Having something on my to-do list for a long time and not being able to give the needed time and attention drives me crazy! Oh yeah... and this one has been sitting in the list, for like ages! I have been baking bread for a while now, and when we talk bread, garlic bread is one of the top on the list right? But no, it sank down on my list and waited patiently in my to-do list :(
Yes, I have made Garlic Bun Rolls a number of times. So that sort of tended to our cravings of garlic bread. But that authentic looking garlic bread... nah, had never been made... until NOW! Yay! :)
This has been one of our favourite orders at Pizza Hut. The ones we get at Dominos are good too, but they are more softer and chewy. They are actually Garlic Bread Sticks. So, the Garlic Bread that we get in Pizza Hut are the crunchy crispy yum variety. I simply love the buttery crunch that this bread has.
So, I am delighted by the way my version of the Garlic Bread turned out. Right from the shape of the bread, to the way they easily sliced, to the final baked bread slices... I was one happy baker beaming at my goodies that popped out of the oven :)
Makes: 9-10 slices
Once baked, take them off the oven... and what are you waiting for? Top them with some seasoning and yum yum YUM! :)
All Purpose Flour / Maida - 2 cups
Wheat Flour - 1/2 cup
Instant Yeast - 2.5 tsp
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Water - 2 cups OR as required.
Milk - a little
For Garlic Butter:
Butter - 2-3 tbsp, at room temperature
Salt - a pinch
Garlic - 3-4 pods, finely minced
Coriander - as needed, finely chopped
Green Chillies - 1-2, finely chopped
Olive Oil - 1 tsp
- Mix together the yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup of mildly warm water. Keep aside for a few minutes until the solution froths up. Now, the yeast solution is ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and the yeast solution.
- Add some more water, if needed to make a soft and slightly sticky dough.
- Grease the bowl with olive oil and place the dough ball in it and keep aside for about an hour to proof. At the end of an hour, the dough would have doubled in size.
- Punch the dough ball to take off any air bubbles. Roll the dough ball into the shape of a log.
- Using a knife, make shallow cuts with a gap of about 3/4 to 1 inch, on the dough log to form a pattern of parallel diagonal lines. Keep aside for 15-20 minutes to allow the loaf to puff up a little more.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Bake the buns for 10 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown. *Yeah yeah, mine over-browned a little :( But still they were good, yay! :)
- Take it out of the oven and allow to cool for just a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, lets prepare the garlic butter. Take all the ingredients listed under 'For Garlic Butter' and mix well!
- Now, place the baked loaf on a slicing board and carefully cut out slices along the cuts that you made prior to baking.
- Dab on some garlic butter on each slice. Place the slices on a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 180 degrees. Watch as the butter does magic and sizzles in the oven while giving a crispy crunchy finish to the bread slices!
- If you would like, you can add on some grated cheese on top to make Cheesy Garlic Bread!
C*R*U*N*C*H!!! Oh, did you hear that?! :D