Monday, May 12, 2014

Sweet Corn and Methi Pulav


It has been a while since I posted a recipe here. The last month was hectic for me and at the same time very exciting! I conducted my first baking workshop for kids and had a whole lot of fun in the process :) Loads of planning and preparation went in before the event and loads of cleaning up and learning went in post the event. As a whole, it was a memorable experience :) I will share more about it in my next post and will share some pictures too! So, stay tuned for that :)


So, the recipe for today is a very simple fragrant rice that goes really well with a spicy side. I had made this quite a while back, but as I told you I got really busy and had to keep this aside to post until I found sometime for blogging. 

I made this as part of my lunch menu one day, when I had guests over. Some of them were on a no-onion, no-garlic.. and no-carrot diet! As these are major flavour givers in most dishes, I did not want this restriction to limit my cooking. Hence, I tried various other combination to come up with some simple yet tasty dishes. This rice preparation is one of them.

A combination of sweet peas, fenugreek leaves, coconut milk and very basic spices, gives this pulav a good balance of flavours making it a good and an interesting replacement for the usual vegetable pulav. I served this with dal and a mint potatoes. The guests were happy :)
 

Ingredients

Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Sweet Corn Kernels - 1/4 cup
Methi / Fenugreek Leaves - 1/4 cup
Oil - 2 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
Salt - as needed
Method

  • Wash the basmati rice, drain out the water and keep aside. 
  • Heat oil in a kadai and add in the methi leaves. Saute for a few minutes until the methi leaves are cooked and emanate a lovely fragrance.
  • Toss in the corn kernels and saute for a minute. 
  • Add salt, ashed basmati rice and chilli powder. Mix well and combine all the ingredients.
  • Now, add in the coconut milk and mix well. Add in the water and allow the rice to cook through. Keep the flame on medium high.
  • After about 5-7 minutes, the rice would have absorbed all the coconut milk-water mixture and cooked though.
  • Switch off the stove, gently stir using a fork. Serve the pulav with a side dish or raita.

4 comments:


  1. Hi Nandita,
    I just saw you have organized event for kids, looks everything went well and Pulao will make anyone's day brighter, nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pulao. My daughter would love to have it for her lunch. Will try it soon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the combination of methi and sweetcorns. Beautiful clicks make me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious and healthy pulao!

    ReplyDelete