Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ivy Gourd in Coconut Gravy


With a lot of coconut in the house, I was not sure what to make of them. Then came along the Magic Mingle combo for the month - Coconut and Methi seeds. Glad I had to make use of the coconuts, but sad it was teamed up with methi seeds - not one of my favorites! But then, I did have some in the pantry as I had bought these healthy seeds for making Tomato Thokku a while back, and wanted to use them.

After much thinking and planning I got no where, as I did not know what else to team up these two core ingredients with! Finally, Ivy gourd sitting in my fridge caught my attention and made it into the recipe team! And here you go... a fresh recipe churned out in my kitchen yesterday... and it was very nice, I must say. The combination went well and the bitterness of the fenugreek seeds was complimented by the sweetness of the coconut and the dish was a hit at home :)




Ingredients:

Ivy Gourd - 2 cups, chopped
Coconut - 1 cup, chopped
Fenugreek/Methi Seeds - 2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies - 3
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp


Method:


  • Roast the coconut pieces and the dry red chillies in a pan for about 5 minutes on medium flame.
  • Remove from stove and allow to cool completely.
  • Then, grind into a smooth paste by adding little water. Keep aside.






  • Heat a tsp of oil and roast the fenugreek seeds for 5 minutes. 
  • Allow it to cool completely and then grind into a fine powder. Keep aside.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add urad dal and mustard seeds. Allow to splatter.
  • Now add in the chopped ivy gourd pieces and stir.
  • Allow to cook on medium high flame for about 5 minutes.
  • Garnish with curry leaves roasted in coconut oil. Serve with Rice and Dal.




sending it to Sizzling Tastebuds' Event: Magic Mingle

4 comments:

  1. oh wow this surely is an interesting one..would love to try this one!..thanks for linking it to MM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious curry


    Blog - http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/
    Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/ShwetaintheKitchen

    ReplyDelete