Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tutti-fruity Bread | Fruit Bread



Fruit bread has been a childhood favourite of mine! I just loved the splash of colours that these colourful little tutti-fruity bits gave to the soft bread slices. These were a regular at our home and I fondly remember munching on these yummies as an after school snack. This bread is usually a tab sweeter than the regular bread, due to the addition of tutti-fruity. They make perfect tea-time accompaniments :)





Ever since I started baking bread at home, I have been itching to make my version of my childhood favourite bread. Recently, I picked up a little packet of the colourful tutti fruity bits and recreated my own little loaf at home using my favourite bread recipe. This time however, I used all purpose flour and did not mix in wholewheat flour as well as I wanted soft white bread and was gifting this to my cousin sis whom I was visiting over that weekend.  


It turned out beautiful and just as I had expected it to. I had shaped my bread such that the slices can be easily pulled out rather than sliced... just to add in some fun there :) And Oh, my sis and her family did love it :) A lovely bread for home as well as for gifting!




Makes : 1 medium sized loaf
Time (approx): 
  • Prep - 15 mins
  • Proofing - 60 mins
  • Shaping - 10 mins
  • Baking - 15 mins
Ingredients:
Plain Flour/Maida - 2 and 1/2 cup
Warm Milk - 1 cup
Instant Yeast - 2.5 tsp
Tutti-fruity - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 tbsp
Olive Oil - 1/2 tbsp
  
Method

  • I followed this procedure [How to make yeast dough?] to prepare the yeast dough with the addition of adding in tutti-fruity while making the dough. For this bread I used all purpose flour instead of wholewheat.
  • After an hour the dough would have doubled.
  • Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
  • Dust the work floor with a bit of flour and toss the dough ball on it. 
  • Knead for a minute and then roll into a log shape.
  • Place the dough log on a greases baking tray.

 

  • Gently flatten it a little and using a knife, make horizontal dents on the top with a gap of about an inch.
  • Allow the dough to rise for another half hour or so.
  • Smear with a little oil and bake at 170 degrees for about 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
  • Take it out of the oven and smear a little milk on the top to make the crust soft and place on wire rack to cool.
  • Enjoy it warm :) If eating it later, mildly heating in the microwave before eating would make it soft.

19 comments:

  1. I love the addition of tutti fruity....those are my fav...

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious and great looking with the addition of tuti frutis. nice clicks too

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cakes looks so perfect and the clicks are awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely clicks...great combo with tutti fruity...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bread has come out very well. Love the addition of tutti fruity..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so yum....super clicks tooo..

    ReplyDelete
  7. well made.. liked all your clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious fruit bread its my face too ;-) on a bun envy

    ReplyDelete
  9. loved the cutee tutty fruity in between,yumm bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    Truly said, tutti fruity bread is favourite of most us in childhood. Oh how we used to love to chew the sweet juicy fruit bits in the bread. You have shaped the bread beautifully, baked perfectly and clicked creatively!

    ReplyDelete
  11. really yummy looking bread... glad to be your new follower...
    http://sweettoothraf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bread looks really delicious... esp the surprise fruit bits in every bite.
    I had been in a bit of jet lag and homesickness.. so had not posted regularly last month :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey thanks to ur recipe... tried this and came out good... my 1st attempt came out good... but the colour of the bread dint come out as like yours... else it good in taste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear that Namratha :) Glad you tried it and liked it. The colour probably is because I baked in a microwave with convection and you in an OTG? Or even from microwave to microwave the browning differs a little. Anyway, the taste is what matter and glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  14. i too bake in microwave with convection mode.. had to bake for more than 40min.. once it was 10min, it was still raw.. so had to keep it again for 20min... then again 10min.. no idea y it took so long to bake.. finally baked it and was good to eat, soft and the smell was osm once it was completly baked... by the way, how come i took 40min to bake....?? can upload u the photo else u can have a look in KAF blog in fb...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you set the temperature to 170? Actually the temperature settings differs a little from microwave to microwave as well. As you bake more in your microwave you will get to know the perfect temp settings and time in your microwave. In my microwave the baking generally gets done fast and I get the brown colour within 10- 15 minutes. Maybe next time you can smear some oil on the top before you bake it to enhance the browning.

      Anyway, finally the bread did come out great and you enjoyed it... thats what matters :) Thanks for trying and letting me know :) Saw your picture in KAF. It looks great!! Can I share it in my blog's FB page? My Little Space: Yums from Your Kitchen Do let me know :) Thanks!

      Delete
  15. ya.. have set temperature to 170' .. have brush some oil over the bread before baking also... as u said might b some changes in microwave.. ya.. u can share it to ur page.. i dont mind... thanks once again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have posted your picture here Namratha. Unable to tag you, please tag yourself if you wish to :) Thanks again for sharing the picture. Hope to see more of your bakes :)

      Delete