Yesterday was one of those lovely days when I imagine and dish in my head and then dish it out to match it perfectly... to my greatest satisfaction! :) Until yesterday, I wouldn't have thought of combining Pumpkins and Spinach with Pasta! But voila... here it is... and trust me, its simply yum yum! :) Unique was the taste as the combination of ingredients are uncommon and truly nutritious.
Yellow Pumpkin puree - 2 cups
Spinach - 1 cup
Pasta - 3 cups
Potatoes - 2, boiled and diced
Onion - 1 medium. finely chopped
Pasta seasoning - 2 tsp
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Pepper Powder - 2 tsp
Red Chille Flakes - 2 tsp
Cheese - 1/4 cup, 1 inch cubes.
Milk - 1/2 cup
Cornflour - 1 tsp
All Purpose Flour / Maida - 3 tsp
Salt - to taste
Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
To make Pumpkin Puree: [check this post: How to make Pumpkin Puree]
- Slice the Pumkin into manageable pieces about the size of a palm and place them in a cooker filled with a cup of water.
- Steam for about 10 minutes (like you would Idlies).
- Switch off the stove and allow the cooker to cool completely.
- Remove the pumpkin pieces and place them in a bowl. The pumpkin pieces should look squishy and a fork should go through it with ease.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the pumpkin completely, leaving behind the skin.
- Mash the puree for a couple of minutes with the spoon or you could even use a blender to get a super fine paste.
To make the Pasta:
- Put the pasta in a pan filled with water just enough such that the pasta is immersed in water. Par boil on medium flame until the pasta become slightly soft and can be sliced easily by a kinfe.
- Drain the water out and keep aside the cooked pasta.
- Place the spinach leaves in a microwave safe bowl and microwave it for about a minute. Or you can even blanch it for a minute over the stove, in a shallow pan filled with a cup of water.
- Coarsely chop the microwaved/blanched spinach and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat olive oil and add in the finely chopped onions. Once they turn slightly brown, add the ginger-garlic paste and stir well.
- After another minute, add in the diced boiled potatoes and let it fry for about 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Now, add in the pumpkin puree and stir well.
- Throw in pepper powder and some salt and mix well. Allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cheese, chopped spinach and red chilli flakes. Stir well.
- In a bowl, mix together milk, cornflour and all purpose flour into a fine paste.
- Add this milk solution into the pan.
- Finally add in the cooked pasta and combine together all the ingredients. Serve hot! :)