Saturday, July 7, 2012

Chocolate Walnut Cake [Egg-less]


Oh Man... the craving for desserts come with absolutely no warning! Less than a week back, I had this strong urge to indulge in a chocolatey nutty brownie and nothing else could compromise!! It was nearly dinner time and too late to venture into the kitchen to experiment. So we headed out and tended to my craving. 

And today it struck again! This time it was for Chocolate Cake! Sigh! I could just visualize the kind of  fluffy chocolate cake I would love to dig my teeth into!! And this time I was fully charged up to feed my cravings from a goodie from my own kitchen! There began the browsing for a simple and quick recipe for eggless chocolate cake (am new to baking and have a microwave with convection modee and hence prefer to experiment with just eggless recipes as of now) And when I saw this recipe from Divya's Cookbook, I just had to give it a shot. The picture looked so delicious and tempting!
My cake got over baked a bit. I am guessing its because I used a glass baking vessel instead of a metal tray in a microwave and the timing need to be personalised based on oven model. Nevertheless the cake looked tempting enough (considering this was my first attempt at baking a big size cake!). I was happy and smiled with glee as I devoured the cakes slices :D




Ingredients

All purpose flour (Maida) - 1 cup
Cocoa powder - 1/2 cup
Instant coffee powder - 1 tsp
Curd - 1 cup
Powdered Sugar - 3/4 cup
Baking powder - 1 1/4 tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence - 1/2 tsp
Chopped Walnuts - 1/2 cup
Chocolate chips - 1 tbsp

Method

  • Preheat microwave to 170C.


  • Combine together Flour, Cocoa Powder and Coffee Powder and keep aside.
  • Blend together curd and powdered sugar.
  • Add in the Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Vanilla Essence and mix well till creamy and set aside for a few minutes till small bubbles start to appear on top.
  • Add oil and combine in the dry mixture prepared earlier.
  • Blend together till you get a smooth creamy batter.


  • Empty contents into a greased baking tray.
  • Spread evenly and top with chopped nuts and chocolate chips.
  • Bake for 8-10 minutes and check if a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake. If not, leave to cook for another 10 minutes at 170C until the crust is dark brown.


  • Cool the cake for 10 minutes and then transfer onto a plate.
  • Once completely cooled, cut into pieces and enjoy the yummy chocolatey cake! :)

4 comments:

  1. You have tempted me now;))This cake is a sure shot winner and am so glad it satisfied your craving:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow .. I made this some time back with chocolate sauce :)) this one looks very yummm!
    Happy Following you back Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheer INDULGENCE!!!!Will try this with extra Coffee Powder flavor as suggested Nandita.

    ReplyDelete