Thursday, December 20, 2012

Hara Bhara Kabab - Guest Post by Shilpa Kini



When I started this blog about a year back, I did not have any plans for it. I posted about what I cooked. Simple everyday cooking. No fancy elaborate recipes. The main purpose behind the blog was to keep a log for everyone reading (and for myself!) on the simple and healthy dishes needing not much time, effort and ingredients, which I manage to create in my kitchen amidst hectic daily life...  but never-the-less are yum in the tum! :)

Okay, so not much has changed since then. Even to this day, I post recipes only which are simple (as that is all I have time for!) and look for similar recipes on other sources as well. One thing I have decided to do anew is... host guest posts! Oh yes, I have featured two bloggers before with two very interesting dishes - Samosa and Carrot Walnut Cake. But whats going to be different now is, I plan to feature non-bloggers here who have some very creative simple recipes up their sleeves. Just a platform for them to share their recipes.

Today I have here a very bubbly person, from amchi Mumbai who happens to be my sister-in-law! :) Shilpa is my brother's wife and loves that extra twist and spice in her dishes. Her stuffed lady's finger is something I have heard a lot about and am waiting to try out someday! :P Meanwhile here she is telling us about another signature dish of hers - Hara Bhara Kabab, which look absolutely yumm!! Over to her :)



"Hello there! It is great to be doing something different... so here I am to post a recipe on my lovely SIL’s blog!

Once we were just casually chatting with each other... (and you all know what girls like us generally talk about after marriage right..!!?) yeah... it has to be either about their respective husbands or food. So this time it was foodie talks and I told her about the menu for the day and then went on talking about other things. At the end of the conversation she asked me.. ‘Shilpa, why don’t you do a guest blog post for me?!'  Now, with such an offer from ‘Nan’s yum yums’, I was very much excited and readily agreed. Out of over excitement I became generous with my ingredients and, you know what happens then! Yes, to my utter dismay the final preparation did not come out well as expected :( Nevertheless, I gave my second try and this time it was awesome! :) And so, here is my awesome Haara Bhara Kabab Recipe........!!"
 



Ingredients:
Potato - 4/5, medium
Green Peas -1 cup
Spinach/Palak leaves - 25 to 30
Ginger - 1 piece
Garlic - 1 clove
Cornflour - 1/2 cup,
Green chillies - 4 to 5
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Chat masala - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 cup
Water - as required
Salt - as required

Method:
  • Boil or pressure cook the potatoes for up to 2 whistles. Allow them to cool and then peel off the outer skin, mash them and keep aside.
  • Boil green peas, cool them and keep aside.
  • Blanch Spinach leaves in two cups of boiling water with a pinch of salt. Drain and refresh it in cold water, squeeze out the excess water completely and then finely chop them.
  • Grind chopped spinach, green chillies, half cup green peas, chopped ginger & garlic in a mixer for around 5 seconds.
  • Take a bowl and mix the above mixture with mashed potatoes, chat masala, jeera powder and salt and use a little cornflour for binding.
  • Divide the mixture into small equal portions. 
  • Shape each portion into a ball and press it between your palms to form a flat tikki or a heart shape as per your liking.
  • Shallow fry them on a tawa/griddle or deep fry them in hot oil for around 3 to 4 mins.
  • Drain out in a tissue paper and then serve hot with tomatoes sauce coriander/mint chutney.

Tip: We can use bread crumbs instead of cornflour, and add in minced panner or cheese, coriander to make a beautiful flavorsome Kebab.

9 comments:

  1. Kabab looke very delicious and healthy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy kebab.looks tempting.first time here.hi nandita!ur new follower.check my space if u have time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow tempting kabab.. delicious one..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely shape to the yummy kebabs. Thanks Shilpa kini for sharing the recipe...looking forward to the stuffed lady's finger recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully captured kebabs..proud of my friend shilpa...i have bookmarked the recipe...

    ReplyDelete