Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Wheat and Jaggery Cookies



Baking makes me happy. I bake for occasions, for family, for friends, or just because I feel like it! 

And lately, my baking has begun to revolve around my infant son. I have been eagerly waiting to feed him homemade healthy bakes and watch the glee on his face as he enjoys them. Well, finally at just over 10-months-old, I have been able to give him tiny bits and pieces of my cakes and much to my delight, he does enjoy munching on them! :) 

While the happiness I get when I feed my baby homemade goodies is priceless, I am also conscious about the quantity that I feed him. Since our regular bakes contain refined sugar and white flour, I do not give him too much of it. Just a teeny weeny piece at a time. 

However, his appetite is ever growing and I have to keep ready healthy munchies every few hours to feed his hungry tummy. Apart from the usual baby friendly stuff, I wanted to give him variety and something ready that I can just take off the shelf and feed when hunger strikes. 

...and so begins my baking journey to create baby friendly bakes! :) 


While browsing for ideas, I found this recipe on Padhu's Kitchen and by just a quick glance at the ingredients was convinced that this was the perfect bake for my little guy. Took me all of 30 mins to put them together and keep away to bake. Once done, I gave him a tiny bit to taste and it was an instant hit! He gobbled a lion and nibbled on a giraffe on the first sitting :D  

These cookies are perfect for babies as they contain no refined sugar or flour. They are absolutely healthy. I had these adorable little cookies cutters sitting and waiting patiently to be used. I used them to shape these cookies and was ecstatic at how incredibly cute they turned out! :)

If you have a teeny tummy to feed at home, this recipe is a must try! Actually, these may just please you too... go ahead and try a small batch and see if you like these healthy bites! :) 

Happy Baking! 


Ingredients

Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1/2 cup, powdered
Butter - 100 gms, cold unsalted
Cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt -  a pinch
Milk - 2 tbsp

Method

  • Cube the butter into small pieces and place into a mixing bowl.
  • Add in the wheat flour, salt and mix the them together with your hands. The butter should blend in well and the mixture should resemble bread crumbs.
  • Add jaggery and cardamom powder. Mix well.
  • Now, to bring the dough together, add in just a bit of milk. Combine well to make a soft dough.
  • Place this dough in the refrigerator for 15 mins.
  • After 15 mins, take out the dough. Dust your work area with flour and roll out the dough using a rolling pin, into medium thickness.
  • Using cookie cutters, cut out the shapes that you desire and place these on a greased baking tray.
  • Gather the remaining dough and repeat the rolling out and cutting process until all the dough in used up.
  • Bake the cookies at 180 for 15-20 mins or until the sides turn a light brown.
  • Cool the cookies on a wire rack and store in an airtight container once completely cooled.





1 comment:

  1. Sugarless cookies with Jaggery.. yumm! Who can resist such delcious as well as healthy cookies?

    ReplyDelete