Saturday, August 18, 2012

Laccha Paratha



Last week, when we visited my in-laws, my ma-in-law was preparing parathas for a guest, and it caught my attention as they were no ordinary parathas, they were layered! Yeah, laccha parathas. The process intrigued me and I stood there observing her make them. I have always fancied layered parathas but had this thing in my head that the process must be too complicated and have just not thought of making them ever.



However, as I watched her, I figured there was nothing complicated in the process and the ease with which she was making them made me want to try them out too. And to add on to the motivation, she explained to me, if I could make these Phenoris, I should not find making layered parathas to be a big deal.

She was right, though the layering technique is a little different in the two, the idea and experience did help. I made these laccha parathas with whole wheat and added in some coriander for added flavor and to make them look pretty :) I am guessing the same process if made with all purpose flour could turn out to be the South Indian parothas! Its on my list, and would try that out sometime.











Ingredients

Whole wheat flour - 2 cup
Water - for making dough
Coriander Leaves - 1/2 cup, chopped
Ajwain seeds / carom seeds - 1/2 tsp
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Ghee - to taste







Method


  • Combine together wheat flour, salt, chopped coriander leaves, carom/ajwain seeds, a little oil and water to make a dough, just as for chapathis/rotis. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.



  • Make equal portioned balls out of the dough.
  • Roll out each dough ball as you would for chapathis/rotis.
  • Now here goes the layering process. Smear a little olive oil over the rolled out dough, start folding from one end like you would when you make paper fan (or even saree pleats!) and smear a little more oil in the inside of each fold.
  • Keep folding until you have converted the flattened out dough into a pleated formation.
  • Holding one end of it, make a wheel and just tuck on the ends to avoid them from separating.
  • Using a rolling pin, flatten them out gently using little flour.




  • Do not put too much pressure, as the layers may merge.
  • Put them on hot skittle and roast them on medium flame by smearing a little ghee on each side.

  


  • Serve hot with any side dish of your choice!

3 comments:

  1. super one... made to perfection

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So perfectly made. I make similar ones for my hubby. I add ajwain to it.

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete